A few weeks ago on instagram I posted about rendering down the old wax from our beehive to have on hand for making home products.
This was a messy but not difficult process and quite easy I just had to make sure we did it very early on a cool day before the bees got too interested.
We used a bucket , old electric frypan and a muslin cloth.
I wrapped the old comb in the cloth and secured with a rubber band then filled the frypan with water and put the comb filled cloth in when the water was boiling.
The bucket was filled with cold water and when the cloth had emptied of wax I poured it off into the cold bucket and left it to set.
Once set I remelted the wax disc to clean it from any let over dirt and then poured it through a coffee filter into the paper cup moulds to set.
We were all in desperate need of new lip balm the wind and hay fever season chapping our lips.
After much searching we decided on doing a simple coconut oil, beeswax and essential oil balm.
- 2 tablespoons grated beeswax
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 20-30 drops essential oil
- Melt beeswax and coconut oil in a double boiler stirring constantly until melted.
- Remove pan from heat
- Add essential oils
- Once you’ve added the essential oils fill your containers. We used some old empty lip balm tubes and small glass jars.
- Let tubes sit at room temperature for several hours until cooled and completely hardened before capping them.
If you want a thicker lip balm use more beeswax during the melting process.