Plum Sweet Chilli Sauce
I mentioned in my last post about the wonderful Plum sweet chilli sauce we discovered at Cygnet market. It was so wonderful it didn’t make the trip home and with a freezer full of plums gifted to me from a friends harvest last summer I decided to try and recreate the recipe myself.
I used the following recipe from http://bellyrumbles.com/easy-chilli-plum-sauce-recipe/ which I will also list below for you.
The only difference being that I used frozen plums instead of fresh. Freezing fruit enhances the flavors so my result was a REALLY sharp sour plum taste so I still need to tweak the recipe which I will share once I’ve perfected it but for the time being this recipe is a wonderful start for someone with a glut of plums. Try it on eggs, sandwhiches, chips , nachos, pork whatever takes your fancy.
- 1kg sugar plums, chopped & stones kept
- 250g sugar
- 500ml white vinegar
- 5 small red chillies
- 8g salt
- 2 star anise
- 2g ground ginger (I used fresh minced)
- Place all ingredients in a large heavy based saucepan. Stir over a medium heat, without boiling, until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Increase heat and simmer ingredients for around 45 minutes until plums have broken down and the mixture is pulpy.
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture. Return the strained mixture to the stove and cook a further 10 minutes until thickened.
- Place sauce in sterilised jars. Store in fridge. Makes around 3 cups.